Frequently asked Questions:
Where is the Academy of Law Enforcement agencies under the General Prosecutor’s Office situated in?
You may apply at Akmolinskaya oblast, Tselinogradski region, Kosshy village, 16 Republic str. Post Code 021804. Academy website: academy-gp.kz.
What normative legal act regulates the admission of those who want to study at the Academy?
The admission of candidates is regulated with the “Rules for admission to the Academy of Law Enforcement at the General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Kazakhstan implementing professional educational programs of postgraduate education”, approved by the Order of the General Prosecutor of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated August 13, 2015 No. 101.
What documents do I need to apply for Master (PhD) programme at the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies at the General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Kazakhstan?
In order to enter the Academy you need to submit the following documents:
1) an application form addressed to the Rector of the Academy (with a visa, coordination with the head of the body that sends the candidate for training);
2) a copy of the document on higher education with the application (diploma of higher education);
3) a copy of Certificate on taking a test in a foreign language (if there is any);
4) six photographs (3×4 cm);
5) a copy of an identity document;
6) a list of scientific and methodological works (if there is any);
7) attestation sheet with information on the last period of service;
8) personal data sheet;
9) original receipt of payment for the testing in a foreign language service.
To PhD programme candidate:
1) requirements mentioned above in subparagraphs 1), 3) – 9);
2) a copy of the diploma of higher or postgraduate education;
3) statement of purpose for the thesis, accorded with the prospective domestic research supervisor.
What is the procedure for application of the documents?
The admission of documents is carried out in four stages: 1) the reception of documents on July 10-30; 2) On August 10-15, a foreign language exam is held; 3) On August 15-20, an examination in the specialty is held 4) enrolment deadline – August 25.
What are the requirements for the candidates of the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies?
The requirements for candidates to be enrolled at the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies under the General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Kazakhstan are a s follows:
1) the candidate must be a law enforcement officer;
2) a candidate for Master programme must submit a diploma of higher education and have at least 1 year of experience in law enforcement services;
3) a candidate for PhD programme must be a Master in a corresponding specialty and have at least 3 years of experience in law enforcement service.
What are the powers of the Academy Admissions office?
The Admissions Office of the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies:
1) examines the documents submitted by candidates for training, specified in paragraphs 14, 15 of these Rules, and determines the compliance of candidates with the terms of admission;
2) considers complaints and applications for admission to study;
3) forms lists of candidates for study;
4) considers enrollment of Master and PhD students at the Academy with regard to the results the entrance examination committee;
5) analyzes the results of the admission of candidates and makes proposals for further improvement of work.
What specialties can I apply for?
Education at the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies under the General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Kazakhstan can be obtained in the following specialties:
Master programme: 7М04203 – Jurisprudence, 7M12303-Law Enforcement;
PhD programme: 8D04201- – Jurisprudence, 8D12301 – Law Enforcement.
What is the term of training in the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies?
The academic period depends on the programme: Master programme – 2 years, PhD programme – 3 years.
What is the procedure of taking entrance exams at the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies?
The exams are held in writing and evaluated by the examination commission of the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies under the General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Kazakhstan. It consists of three parts: 1). Questions on two subjects; 2). solving situational problems (cases); 3). an essay.
Who can be enrolled in the Master’s and PhD programme?
Candidates for the master’s and doctoral studies at the Academy are admitted on a competitive basis with regard to the results of entrance exams. Candidates who have scored the highest points at the exam in the specialty (on a 100-point grading scale) are enrolled.
Candidates entering the magistracy, doctoral studies of the Academy, pass entrance exams:
1) in a foreign language (English, German, French by choice).
2) by specialty.
The candidates who scored at least 30 points in a foreign language are admitted to the specialty exam.
Does the Academy of Law Enforcement Agencies under the General Prosecutor’s Office provide any opportunities?
Studying at the Academy provides the following opportunities:
– high-quality postgraduate education;
– internships abroad as part of educational projects;
– professional development, development of professional skills and competencies;
– completion of cultural, sports and social needs of students;
– hostel for non-resident students;
– scholarship (70% of the official salary) and additional payment for the class rank and special police rank.
Who is exempt from a foreign language exam?
Candidates with international certificates confirming the knowledge of a foreign language in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for the foreign language proficiency are exempt from the entrance examination in the foreign language for master’s and doctoral studies in the following exams:
English: Foreign Language Institutional Testing Program (TOEFL ITP – at least 337 points), Internet-based Test (TOEFL IBT, threshold score – at least 60), ( TOEFL threshold score – at least 500 points), International English Language Tests System (IELTS, threshold score – at least 5.0);
German: Deutsche Sprachprufung fur den Hochschulzugang (DSH, Niveau B2 / Level B2), Test Da F-Prufung (Niveau B2 / Level B2);
French: Test de Français International ™ (TFI – not lower than B1 level in reading and listening sections), Diplomed ‘Etudes en Langue français (DELF, level B1), Diplome Approfondi de Langue français (DALF, level C1), Test de connaissance du français (TCF – at least 300 points).
The entrance exams in a foreign language are conducted according to the technology developed by the National Testing Center of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The candidates who scored at least 30 points in a foreign language (on a 100-point grading scale) are admitted to the specialty exam.
Additional information on the issue of passing a trial test is available on the website of the National Testing Center (www.testcenter.kz).
Is it possible to retake entrance exams?
Retake of entrance exams is not allowed.
In order to ensure compliance with uniform requirements and resolution of controversial issues during the entrance examinations for master’s and doctoral studies, an appeal commission consisting of the chairman and at least two members is created.
The Appeals Commission accepts and considers applications from candidates entering the magistracy or doctoral studies who disagree with the results of entrance examinations, the content of examination materials, including for technical reasons.
How can I apply for an appeal?
An application for appeal is submitted to the chairman of the appeal commission by a candidate entering the magistracy or doctoral studies until 1:00 pm the next day after the results of the entrance exam are announced. It is considered by the appeal commission within one working day from the day the application is submitted.
The decision of the Appeals Commission is made by a majority vote of the total number of members of the commission. In case of equality of votes, the vote of the chairman of the commission is decisive. The work of the appeal commission is documented in a free-form protocol signed by the chairman and all members of the commission.
The protocol of the examination and appeal commissions are transmitted to the selection committee of the Academy within one working day from the date of the meeting.
What is the admission procedure for the master’s and doctoral programs?
Candidates who have gained the highest scores on the results of the exam in the specialty (on a 100-point system) are credited to study for the master’s and doctoral studies. In the case of the same amount of points, the candidates with the highest record of law enforcement service will receive the right of priority for enrollment. Then the scientific achievements corresponding to the profile of the chosen specialty are taken into account:
1) scientific publications, including in rating scientific journals;
2) documents of scientific developments, patents, etc.;
3) certificates for the award of scientific scholarships, grants;
4) certificates or diplomas confirming participation in scientific conferences and competitions.
On the basis of the protocol of the admissions committee, the Rector of the Academy issues an order for enrollment to the magistracy and doctoral studies.
What is the structure of the statement of purpose?
The study on the planned dissertation research states:
1. Last name, first name and patronymic (if any), class rank / qualification class / special title, position of a candidate for study.
2. Last name, first name and patronymic (if any), academic degree, academic title, position, university in which the prospective domestic consultant works.
3. Theme of the planned dissertation research.
4. The centrality of the planned thesis.
5. The degree of elaboration of the scientific problem.
6. The purpose and objectives of the planned thesis.
7. The object and subject of the planned thesis.
8. Methodology of the planned thesis.
9. Expected achievements of the dissertation research, their theoretical and practical significance. Estimated directions for their implementation and testing.
Note: Justification of the planned thesis should be printed on A4 paper, “Times New Roman”, size 14, one line spacing, and take at least three pages.